Originally settled in 1896, Jordan officially became a town by Postal designation of July 11, 1899. The founder, Arthur Jordan, had hunted the area a great deal and in 1896 decided to bring his family here to settle along the banks of the Big Dry Creek. He soon took up trading with the local cattle and sheep men and it wasn't long until he had a store of sorts. Mail for the area residents began to find its way to the Jordan homestead and in 1899, Mr. Jordan and some of the local residents petitioned for a Post Office, with Arthur Jordan as the Postmaster. Since this Post Office had to have a name, they all agreed to call it "Jordan".
Before very long a town began to spring up around the Post Office. There were saloons, rooming houses, livery stables, blacksmiths and stores. In the later part of the 1910's the homestead boom hit Garfield County, which was then actually part of Dawson County to the East. By 1919, it became the consensus of many locals that they needed to form a county of their own and Garfield County was established. After much ado by competing towns in the area, Jordan was finally chosen as the County Seat, by popular vote.